This post has been long delayed, I was hoping that when I post (and brag) about my new ride, it is already with me. Unfortunately ‘the blog can no longer wait’.
I was scouting for a new car for several months already. I want to try a four-wheel-drive (compact SUV). My wife wanted a RAV4, but I don’t like the design of having the spare tire exposed at the back. A CRV is also nice but I am over budget with it.
I was actually going for a Hyundai Tucson, cost-wise with a price tag of SR62,500, it is just a price of a Toyota Corolla. However, I was not able to get the color I want — which is black.
Then I saw the advertisement from KIA, with a promotional offer that they can match down payment up to 25%, no administrative fees, processing fee for license plate is also waived, no first and last payment for installment. I visited their shop and chose Sportage, inquired on the availability of black color and was confirmed available.
I decided to go for 60 months payment scheme, availing the 25% down payment. Based on the sales agent’s calculation, my down payment would be SR19,000, thereafter a monthly amortization of SR885 (no last payment). He printed to me the quotation and affixed his signature on it. I advised him that I will be back in few days time to pay the down payment.
Meantime, few days later, I received a call from the sales agent claiming his computation was wrong. I was told that they can match only up to SR16,756, thereafter the monthly amortization would become SR991.
I paid the 25% down-payment on August 13 (Thursday), and signed the contract on August 15 (Saturday). I was told that the car will be available on Saturday, just in time for my family to arrive on Tuesday (24 August) – I tell myself. I actually paid SR19,500 (my SR19,000 original budget plus the SR500 reservation fee that the agent forgot to deduct on the down payment), and have my monthly amortization reduced to SR926.
A week later, I followed it up at their office only to be told that the agent was trying to say not this coming Saturday (22 August) but next Saturday (29 August). What is annoying is the direct lie to my face.
As of writing this blog it is already Sunday (30 August) and the car is still not with me. I called and was told there had been a problem with the insurance and it will take another 5 days to resolve. I am not even sure if they can release the car on Saturday (5 September).
Sad, but no matter how hard to keep my cool, frustration is everywhere (and I am not even talking about a much greater frustration I am experiencing at work).